IDSVA invites applications and nominations for the position of President. Application reviews
commence October 1, 2023. The position begins May 1, 2024.
In collaboration with IDSVA’s CEO, the president provides the institution’s overall leadership,
serves as IDSVA’s chief spokesperson, and directly serves the faculty, students, staff, and board
of trustees. Working with IDSVA’s development team, the president leads IDSVA’s fundraising
efforts. The president also serves on the IDSVA faculty.
• PhD in visual art and culture or related fields
• Demonstrated institutional leadership experience
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate with board of trustees in matters of institutional
development and strategic planning
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate with faculty and senior administrative leadership in
matters pertaining to curricular and pedagogical planning and development
• Extensive experience in international residency programming
• A proven record of advanced scholarship and graduate-level teaching
• Extensive book and article publications in the fields of philosophy, history of ideas,
history of art and visual culture, histories of theory and criticism
• International recognition of teaching and scholarship
• Demonstrated working international relations with established artists and scholars
• Working understanding of the transhistorical intersections among various cultures and
• Established record and international recognition as practicing artist preferred
IDSVA grants a PhD in Visual Arts: Philosophy, Aesthetics, Art Theory. IDSVA’s curriculum
blends fall and spring online instruction with winter and summer intensive residencies. Current
residency sites include Rome, Spannocchia Castle (Tuscany), Venice, Athens, Berlin, Paris,
Madrid, Mexico City, Marrakech, and New York City.
The Institute for Doctoral Studies in the Visual Arts was founded in 2006 and is fully accredited
(NECHE 2015). For further information visit the IDSVA website at www.idsva.edu.
Applications and nominations may be submitted to Professor Paul Armstrong, Search Committee
Chair, at Paul_Armstrong@Brown.edu
IDSVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and specifically invites applications from women,minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities.